Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Caswell Motel

I know I haven't blogged in a while because I'm busy getting the boat ready for the season and I have a new Harley that I can't stay off of, but this story about the Caswell Motel interests me. I grew up in Tewksbury and the Caswell was always a truckers stop or a cheap motel for the night and well maintained. At the time Rt 38 was almost barren to Tewksbury center. Next to the Caswell was the Jade East Rest and The Red Mill. It was the spot you went if you got lucky at the bars and that was it.

Something changed. Did Rt 38 grow to fast? Did the owners let it go? Did the cheap rates draw hookers and dealers there? I think all of the above. One night 2yrs ago I was driving by the Caswell with a friend and we were talking about the good old days and how the Caswell had changed and my friend pulled in and around the back of the building and said watch this and beeped the horn. Almost every door opened and I'm sure there was something for sale behind every door.

These types of motels are in every city and town across America, is it right? NO. But if I know whats going on at the Caswell and every cop in town does why don't they enforce the law? It's to bad that times change and there are desperate people that do desperate things and put a black mark on a good town that I grew up in. Is the answer to take the Motel away from the owner and sell it off and split the 1.5 million that the property's is worth with the Feds and the Tewksbury Police?

They know the problem...... the police bust the hookers and dealers and judges let them walk because there is no room for them. I'm going on and on .....Let me know what you think

Thanks
The Capt.

1 comment:

  1. Cap't

    Thanks for blogging about this.  I had saved out the edition of The [Lowell] Sun to talk about it, but this allows me to recycle sooner.

    The whole question of asset forfeiture is problematic.  I doubt there is an effort to seize the Caswell so as to increase the money available for the Tewksbury Police.  But, I don't put it beyond the realm of possibility for such things to be happening across the fruited plain.

    More troubling, for me, is that when prosecutors think they can't get a conviction in front of twelve men and women, good and true, they just seize some assets.  Then it is on the victim, like the owners of the Caswell, to sue to get their assets back.  This does not seem like justice as we understand it, springing from the Common Law.

    Thanks for mentioning this.

    Regards  —  Cliff

    ReplyDelete