Monday, February 4, 2013

Life Gave The Capt. a Right Hook.

I have always lived my life to the fullest and enjoy being surrounded by my family and friends. Those who know me know my mantra  is " We are not here for a long time but here for a good time" . Three weeks ago life gave me a right hook and took my hero, best friend , my Dad. It was fast and he said he always wanted to go that way.  He died snow blowing his driveway even though I told him I'd be over to do it. I learned you can't tell an old Frenchman what to do because he'll do it anyway. In a way I'm blessed he died the way he wanted and not linger sick in a nursing home, because he was not the type of guy to be a bother to anyone.

He was a good man and a devoted husband to my Mom for over 60 years and did a great job raising 5 children. I have no regrets because I know he loved me and he knew I loved him. People have told me the hole in your heart will always be there and I believe that is true, after all he was my Father.

Grief is a powerful thing. I have had friends and relatives pass away and it makes you pause, but losing a parent takes the breath out of you. I know I'll be ok after a while and life goes on but it is surreal that he is gone. I know I'm not the only one to lose a loved one . Loved ones die every day and the pain is as great  .

I do know that I am the man that I am because of the man that raised me and mentored me. I will miss him deeply but wow.......That was a right hook.

2 comments:

  1. I know this is a bit late - but I am so sorry for your loss. Being married to a stubborn old Frenchman myself, I can tell you your father went the way he wanted to - fast. The physical being may be gone but his spirt will always be in your heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Anonymous for your kind words......you must also be a saint like my Mother.....lol

    ReplyDelete