Thursday, July 11, 2013

The sinking of The JANET MARIE but the old Sea Chest watched over her.

I have enjoyed telling you of my adventures at sea and sharing boating tip on this blog but this past Tuesday I believe my seafaring days are over for this season. I received a call at 8am on Tuesday morning from the marina that the Janet Maria and gone down at her slip, I couldn't believe my ears, this was my baby ,my extra cash for the summer, my fresh lobsters.

I  drove down to the marina and I must admit exceeded the speed limit to find my baby 3/4 of the way underwater. The only thing from keeping her from sinking to the bottom were the lines tied to the dock. My heart sank. There I was all alone on the dock looking at my pride and joy under water.

I called my crew and told them that she had gone down and like the loyal friends and crew that they are left their day jobs and headed for the docks. I was bumming hard thinking about the damage that was being done and the equipment that was lost and how this could have happened.  I was numb.

I looked through the tea stained river water to see what was left but my heart sank when I didn't see the sea chest that my Father had built for my boat 17 years ago. My Father passed away 6 mon. ago and was a carpenter and made a sea chest for my boat when I bought it. It was rough and stained with teak with multiple layers of poly. I receive more comments on that sea chest from the fisherman at the dock

I walked down the pier and looked down into the boat, all of my gear that wasn't screwed down or tied was gone. It all floated out of the boat and down the river. Out of the coner of my eye to the stern it caught my eye ,there it was. While everything in the boat floated away the old sea chest ended up wedged behind the stern and a boat fender, I smiled. Thanks Dad for watching over my boat.

Love you and miss you Dad.

Sea ya
The Capt.

3 comments:

  1. Paul that is so touching brought tears to my eyes.. I am so sorry about the boat,however so happy for you that you found that precious,sentimantal chest.. Your right Dad was watching over the boat and you as you were not out on it when it happened.. Hang in there Captain.. Hugs.. Micky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Paul,
    So sorry to read about your boat sinking, I hope you come out on top with any insurance claim. If there is anything I can do, count on me.
    So sorry Paul
    John McDonough 978-808-8200

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul

    Glad it was pier side and not somewhere else.  And nice add about the sea chest.  Looking out for you.

    Regards  —  Cliff

    ReplyDelete