Sunday, January 22, 2012

About 300 dolphins at risk of stranding safely guided out of Wellfleet harbor; two dolphins dead

About 300 doPublish Postlphins at risk of stranding safely guided out of Wellfleet harbor; two dolphins dead.

I've always wondered why these intelligent and beautiful animals strand themselves. I've heard that in some pods a sick leader of the pod may lead them in or false currents created by tides in shallow coastlines like the cape may cause them to beach themselves,but I'm happy that there are organisations that come out to guide them back to sea.
I've had the pleasure to see them many times while fishing, they come up and breach and sometimes come up to the boat to see whats up,and its always a treat to see them up close.
Last summer I was doing a burial at sea off the coast of Boars Head and the family were saying their final goodbyes to their Mother,as the oldest Daugherty placed the first handful of ashes in the water a dolphin swam under the boat and though her Mothers ashes. I still get goosebumps when I think of it too.     


No comments:

Post a Comment