Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sailfishing in February

I don't know about you but at this time of year I start to get cabin fever and start thinking about fishing.
Every February Janet and I head south to the Keys for a week to soak in some sun and relax.

We have stayed from Key West to Key Largo and I have fished all over the Keys but the best fishing this time of the year is in Key Largo. The edge of the reef is only three miles off shore and that is where the Sailfish are.
I've caught fifteen sails over the years my biggest being 120lbs and lost just as many and the thrill of seeing those fish sail though the air over and over again is just a beautiful sight.

I found this Captain 8 years ago at the Marina next to the Holiday Inn on Rt. 1 in Key Largo and he had this fast 36ft Contender with two 275hp Merc's on it. Capt. Beaver is alittle rough around the edges as most of the captains down there are, I don't know why that is,maybe from dealing with the public or maybe because only hardcore fisherman make the huge investment of doing business in the fishing capital of the world. and don't like dealing with rookie fisherman.

The prices of the charters vary from captain to captain depending if you want a half day or full day. I would suggest if your goal is to catch a Sailfish go for the full day trip. My captain charge's 750.00 for a full day which isn't that bad compared to the captains down the road in Marathon that have beautiful 42 footers with flying bridges and charge 1500.00 for a full day. Sometimes you can deal with them or even split a trip with other fisherman that can't afford the whole boat.

Just a word of advice if your a newcomer to sailfishing....the rougher the seas the greater success of catching sails. As I said earlier the reef is 3 miles offshore and that is where the sails feed, and with rough seas the baitfish get stirred  up. I've fished from them a couple of ways, with outriggers trolling live bait and flying kites.

I have had success with the kites but it's alot of work because you have to keep adjusting the kite line to keep the baits in the water. The live baits we have used are ballyhoo and goggleyes which we net 1st thing in the morning .

I hope you have the opportunity to do this type of fishing, There's nothing like heading toward the reef with all your baits and seeing free jumping Sailfish waiting for you at the reef.

No comments:

Post a Comment