Thursday, February 23, 2012

Boat Prep for the Season

Yesterday afternoon when I came home from work I looked at my shrink wrapped boat in my backyard and couldn't help myself. I cut a slit in the side and climbed in,aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah I'm back on my beloved Janet Marie.I put on the tunes cracked a beer and took a look around at what I had to do to get her ready for the season.

I always pull my tackle ( rods ) off the boat and clean them and store the away for the winter along with both battery's. I keep a trickle charge on them to keep them up. I also put a water separator filter between my fuel tanks and my motors.10 yrs ago. Very important to do this,because I can't tell you how many times guys have had to be towed off the water because of water in the fuel. The best filters are the ones with the drain on the bottom. Every now and then during the season I crack it just alittle to drain the water out as water is heaver than gas. It's good to change the filter every year if you use it as much as I do.

As part of my prep I check all my electrical equipment, lights, navigation, fish finder and pumps to make sure they are all in working order. A good thing to do is spray all your electrical terminals on your panel with WD 40 to keep the moisture off. Nothing more aggravating than trying to chase down a bad wire.

If  your boating on fresh water this next step is not necessarily needed but check your anti foul or bottom paint to make sure it's covered well  if your boating in salt water.

I'm so happy I cut a slit in the shrink wrap so I can work on the boat and my buddy's are too.
We have our club house back........


  

No comments:

Post a Comment