Saturday, February 18, 2012

My Dog Brady

I just returned from the East End Club after being chosen as a delegate for the Democratic Convention to be held in Springfield and I'm sitting in my office thinking about something to blog about and I see my 10yr. old yellow lab laying on the rug in front of my desk looking in the stand up mirror in the corner looking at me.
It makes me smile as he is getting more needy as he gets older and sticks to Janet and I like glue.

After losing our first lab Sunny it took a while before I decided I needed another fishing buddy and companion so I stopped at the MSPCA farm and there he was a 9mon old yellow lab named Hugs. I should have known just by looking at all the ripped up stuffed toys in his cage that this boy was going to be a challenge. I took him for a walk in the pouring rain to see how he was and to see if we would bond, we bonded all right all he did was jump on me and covered me with his muddy paw prints.

To make a long story short he hit the lottery and came home to us. I've had dogs my whole life but never rescued one before. I will always rescue a dog from the shelter from now on because I believe they make better dogs and seem  to know they got a second chance . Brady is a good boy and very loyal to us and has brought us alot of joy, accept when I take him down to the docks and the first thing he does is poop on the docks....very embarrassing.

Love your dogs because they love you more.

6 comments:

  1. Kristin Ross-SitcawichFebruary 18, 2012 at 10:10 AM

    Paul, thanks for posting about your experience with adoption @ Nevins. We did just that recently and have had such a great experience with the newest addition to our family. It's only been a month, but feels like she has been with us forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Kristin.
    Janet and I stopped by last weekend to take a look at the dogs looking for a home and it breaks your heart to see them and they all have a story. I'm happy that you adopted one and she hit the lottery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eileen Lee Golden TrottFebruary 18, 2012 at 12:18 PM

    Paul, I love your blog but I love this story. We too rescued a dog from the pound 6yrs ago and he is the best dog,he is a black lab mix named Bruce, never have we met such a smart dog...its too bad we couldnt adopt them all...

    Lee Golden Trott

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know Eileen, Janet and I feel the same way.
    Thank God for organisations like the North Shore Animal League that sends vans down south to pick up dogs and bring them up north to No Kill Shelters to find homes for these helpless dogs. I don't know why the majority of these dogs come from down south, maybe it's a culture thing that dogs are expendable... I don't know

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a 6 yr-old rescue cat from the Lowell Shelter. He is my 3rd adult rescue cat ( I have only had 6 cats in 49 years of marriage. Definitely a lap cat - anyone sits down and he is right there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's nice Anonymous,the animals know

    ReplyDelete