Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Goodbye to Saint Josephs Hospital

I heard some sad news today that St. Josephs Hospital that the U Mass Lowell purchased will be torn down. I was hoping that they would be able to save the oldest part of the hospital that sits on Pawtucket St over looking the Merrimack River. I first visited St. Joe's on Oct. 6th 1955 at 10:57pm the evening I was born, as many Lowellians were. I visited many relatives and friends there over the years and was even a hospitalized there after having my tonsils out when I was a kid.

I remember the Grey Nuns that worked there coming around to the rooms and hearing the rosary being broadcast over the P.A. system mid afternoon. My wife told me she worked as a candystriper doing odd jobs and help to comfort the patients.

It will be sad to see the old hospital go.....I guess that's urban development.

Please share any memories of Saint Josephs.      

No comments:

Post a Comment